Re: AM_PROG_CC_C_O?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: AM_PROG_CC_C_O?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:54:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

"Bob" == Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> writes:

Bob> Since libtool is used to build all objects, is
Bob> AM_PROG_CC_C_O and the "compile" script really necessary?

Try upgrading to current CVS Automake, it should show you the location
and the name of one file that is built with -c -o without libtool.

I see. Very nice! My assertion that libtool was used to build all objects in my project was incorrect. Libtool is used to build objects for libraries, but *not* for objects directly used to build executables.

For those curious to see the error message CVS Automake now produces, this is the message it generated for me:

tests/Makefile.am:17: compiling `tests/constitute.c' in subdir requires `AM_PROG_CC_C_O' in `configure.ac' Makefile.am:122: `tests/Makefile.am' included from here

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden