Re: svn copy conflicts with autotools ?

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Subject: Re: svn copy conflicts with autotools ?
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:13:45 -0200

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004, Eric PAIRE wrote:
> 3) I have set up a tag with 'svn copy' so that the tagged version is the
> exact
>    copy of the version in the 'trunk' directory.
> 4) Another user gets the tagged version with a 'svn co' and runs 'configure'
>    on it. And now ...

As it was once so eloquently explained to me by a senior Debian developer
when I asked exactly the same question (but for CVS, since Subversion didn't
exist yet):  "If you're doing that, you're weird. Go away".

The translation for that would be:  Why the heck are you keeping
auto-generated files in a RCS system?  Get them out of there, they do NOT
belong in the repository!

Add a run-this-on-checkout script and proper rules to the makefiles to run
the autotools sequence if the autotools files are not yet available.

As for a bad autotools setup on the build system, well, document properly
what the build system has to have installed for the development versions.
Anyone doing development has to be at least capable of a proper build system
setup, no?

When you generate a release, run autotools before you make a
tar.bz2/tar.gz/.cab/whatever file that you're going to distribute.  This
way, all the autotools scripts are already built and have correct timestamps
inside the distribution archive. Normal users won't need to bother with
autotools configs, then, unless they muck with Makefile.am, configure.in or
something else like that.

  Henrique Holschuh