Re: creating the $(SUBDIRS) at runtime?

From: Simon Richter
Subject: Re: creating the $(SUBDIRS) at runtime?
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 16:46:36 +0200

Hi,

Harald Dunkel wrote:

I would like to create the directories for some
$SUBDIRS as needed at runtime, e.g.

erm, why?

Unfortunately Automake complains about the missing
directories in the source tree.

Yes, because the structure of the source tree is supposed to be pretty much static (in fact, your package should be able to build with the source tree on read-only media), so it doesn't make sense to name directories that aren't there.

(Part of the problem is that CVS doesn't allow to
rename files or directories, so I would like to avoid
checking in empty directories.)

Just create a file ".cvssucks" in that dir, then it's no longer empty. :-) (or use a sane versioning system, like cogito).

   Simon