Re: how to make _DEPENDENCIES appear earlier in prerequisite

From: n.g.
Subject: Re: how to make _DEPENDENCIES appear earlier in prerequisite
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 05:07:46 +0800

for example, in gnome/ORBit2, there something like this

  bin_PROGRAMS = foo
  foo_SOURCES = foo.c bar.h

where `bar.h' is only available at compile time, it is produced by one
program called `idl-compiler', the command to produce `bar.h' is:

  idl-compiler bar.idl

automake dont know how to compile a .idl file, so i want to define
primary for use to compile idl file, just as what to do to other
source files, so i can write in Makefile.am something like this:

  idl_IDLFILES = bar.idl
  idl_COMPILER = idl-compiler
  noinst_bin_PROGRAMES = idl-compiler
  bar_idl_IDLCFLAGS = --show-errors
  idl_compiler_SOURCES = a.c b.c ...

if automake wouldn't process these, then i have do it myself, but i
want to find $(bar_idl_IDLCFLAGS) given the name `bar.idl',
currently i wrote
  cname = $(subst -,_,$(1))
then
  $(call cname,bar.idl)
but many character are refused by automake in a variable name, like
[[.-+]], which are also valid in filename, cname may get longer if all
characters have to be replaced by '_',
and comes the need of a automake function `canonnical_name'

usually , compile an idl file will produce 4 files, any one of which
may not be produced, specified by an command line argument ,
independent to others.
i used timestamp, but seems that i didn't notice something.

`info Automake "Multiple Outputs"' is very helpful,
thanks a lot.

--
Tomorrow will be a good day :-)

134-824-129-52