Re: Need for a portable way to specify intermediate targets.

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: Need for a portable way to specify intermediate targets.
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 19:29:13 +0100

Hello,

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 01:15:23PM +0100, Peter Ekberg wrote:
> .INTERMEDIATE: $(FOOBARS) splunk.foobar
[...]
> Is there a portable solution to my needs?

a distributed file cannot depend on a non-distributed one.
So you have to replace the rule

.foobar.c:
        ./foobar < $< > $@

by

$(srcdir)/splunk.c: $(FOOS)
        $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) splunk.foobar
        ./foobar < splunk.foobar > $@

See (automake.info)distcleancheck

Please note that the target is not "splunk.c", but "$(srcdir)/splunk.c";
this is necessary for portability to non-GNU versions of make.
See node (autoconf.info)Limitations of Make)

Have a nice day,
        Stepan Kasal