Re: libdir on x86_64

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libdir on x86_64
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:59:48 +0100

Hi Guillaume,

* Guillaume Rousse wrote on Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 09:27:59AM CET:
> On a x86_64 host, libdir is expanded to exec_prefix/lib, as on i586.
> However, most Linux distribution (and I guess FHS too) specify to use
> exec_prefix/lib64, to make simultaneous installation of 32 and 64 bits
> programs possible.
>
> Am i supposed to manually set libdir according to build host to get
> compliance with such constraint ?

Yes, you can specify --libdir at configure time.  Note for system
installations you will usually have to set more options, for
example --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc.  The idea of the GNU coding
standards is that all packages allow to be configured in this way, so
that you can adjust all packages to your system specific layout in the
same way.