makeinfo problem

From: Thomas Porschberg
Subject: makeinfo problem
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:00:12 +0200

Hi,

in our project(auto[make/conf] based) we introduced texinfo format for
documentation (in favor of our old static HTML doc).
We create HTML files from texi files which are integrated in our GUI
application. The directory structure looks like:

<project-root>/doc/help/*.texi

in
<project-root>/doc
we have a Makefile.am which looks:

>snip
EXTRA_DIST = help

dist-hook:
        rm -rf `find $(distdir) -name .svn`

docdir = $(libdir)

install-data-hook:
        rm -rf $(docdir)/help
        cp -dpR $(top_builddir)/doc/help/tora $(docdir)/help
        cp $(docdir)/help/index.html $(docdir)/help/toc.htm
        cp -dpR $(top_srcdir)/doc/help/images $(docdir)/help
        cp -dpR $(top_srcdir)/doc/help/api $(docdir)/help

manualdir = $(top_builddir)/doc/help

all-local:
        echo Making HTML in $(manualdir)
        cd $(manualdir) && make html

>snip

The Makefile.am in <project-root>/doc/help creates the HTML

>snip

dist-hook:
        rm -rf `find $(distdir) -name .svn`

info_TEXINFOS = tora.texi

SUFFIXES = .html

html_docs = tora.html

.texi.html:
        $(MAKEINFO) --html $<

.PHONY: html
html: $(html_docs)

>snip

All works fine when I use the Makefiles with makeinfo version 4.8.
After a switch user to root at a certain host I observed that the make
process failed with:

/bin/sh /mnt/old_disk/tora/config/missing --run makeinfo
--html ../../../doc/help/tora.texi ../../../doc/help/tora.texi:42:
@include `help.texi': No such file or directory.

The root user has only version 4.5 of makeinfo in the path.
And tora.texi includes other texinfo-files via

   @include help.texi

I looks to me that the 4.5 makeinfo looks in the build-tree and not
in ../../../doc/help/ for the other texi files to include.

How to solve best this problem ?

And another question, even more offtopic :-) : Does anyone know
which version of makeinfo introduced HTML support ? I think
we have to check in configure if the makeinfo tool is able the handle
the --html option.

Regards,
Thomas