Re: Reducing verbosity of automake

From: Duncan Gibson
Subject: Re: Reducing verbosity of automake
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:13:01 +0200

Brendon Costa <address@hidden> wrote:
> When compiling a project using: autoconf/automake/libtool, there is just
> too much data being output to the screen when i run the make command. In
> the jam system i am porting over if I was to issue the jam command, it
> would print messages like:
>
> C++ ./out/netbsd/debug/src/libs/System/unix/UnixUtils.o
> C++ ./out/netbsd/debug/src/libs/System/unix/Utils.o
> Archive ./out/netbsd/debug/src/libs/libADS_System.a
> Ranlib ./out/netbsd/debug/src/libs/libADS_System.a
> MkDir1 ./out/netbsd/debug/src/apps/boost_pointers
> C++ ./out/netbsd/debug/src/apps/boost_pointers/main.o
> LinkApplication boost_pointers

It might be a nice feature to add this to the autotools, but is it
really necessary? Why not follow the unix philosophy and write your
own filter (using sed, python, perl, whatever) that reduces the
verbose lines you don't want into something more managable? Then
simply run

        make | filter

I realise that this isn't a "central solution" that would then be
available to everyone at a single stroke, but it is available to you
now, and you can customise it however you want.

Cheers
D.