Re: Noobie question about doing "src" dirs

From: Douglas Phillipson
Subject: Re: Noobie question about doing "src" dirs
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 11:25:18 -0700

Tyler MacDonald wrote:
Douglas Phillipson <address@hidden> wrote:
SUBDIRS = src

My top level configure.in:

  AC_INIT(src/hello.c)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(hello,1.1)
AC_PROG_CC
AC_PROG_INSTALL
AC_OUTPUT(Makefile src/Makefile)

What else needs to go in src? and What should it contain?

        You do need a makefile.am, presumedly with something like this:

bin_PROGRAMS = hello
hello_SOURCES = hello.c

Do I only need to do aclocal, autoconf, automake -a from the top level dir?

        After adding that Makefile.am, yeah. or run "autoreconf", which will
do all of those steps for you.

        Cheers,
                Tyler

Hello world configure is failing with:
config.status: error: cannot find input file: Makefile.in

I have:

Makefile.am:
SUBDIRS = srcbin_PROGRAMS = hello
hello_SOURCES = hello.c helloutils.c

configure.in:
AC_INIT(src/hello.c)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(hello,1.1)
AC_PROG_CC
AC_PROG_INSTALL
AC_OUTPUT(Makefile src/Makefile)

src/Makefile.am:
bin_PROGRAMS = hello
hello_SOURCES = hello.c helloutils.c

It's creating the Makefile.in in the "src" dir, but not the top level dir. What Am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Doug P