Re: Library collision

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Library collision
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:48:29 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Jeff Safier wrote:

I have two libraries (from an existing Windows app) that have been
converted to LINUX static libraries
It seems that each library calls a function from the other library.

I noticed that the library order in my Makefile.am needs to be
order dependent, meaning if a library calls another libraries functions
the calling libray must be first in the list.  Is this neccesarily true,
or am I doing something wrong.
Is there a way to disable the order dependency so the above scenario
will work.

There are a number of issues with library order. I see that Ralph has mentioned some of them. One of the big issues related to automake is the library installation order. The libraries need to be listed in order of decreasing dependency so that if they need to be re-linked at install time, the library just built is used rather than some older installed version. In other words, the library needs to be actually installed, before something attempts to relink with it. If you are working on a system with already installed libraries, you can get bit when your package is installed in a different environment. This is yet another reason to avoid circular dependencies.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn