Re: Problems with libtool convenience libraries and automake

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Problems with libtool convenience libraries and automake
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:25:10 +0200

Hello Kent,

* Kent Boortz wrote on Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 06:55:18PM CEST:

> I build using "-static" given to libtool when creating executables, to
> link statically with our own libraries, but dynamically against system
> libraries.

There are two answers to address your issues:
1) Upcoming Libtool 1.5.24 (already in alpha release 1.5.23b) will
provide
   -static-libtool-libs

which links statically against both uninstalled and installed libtool
libraries.  -static only links statically against uninstalled libtool
libraries.  (I don't think you need this, but wanted to make you aware
of it; the semantics of -static were different in previous 1.5.x
releases, but were changed in 1.5.22 to match 1.4.x behavior and to
match the documentation.)

2) If you want a static library installed, and a convenience library for
subsuming stuff in other libs, then just create both as separate
entities.  The name of the second one will remain local to your package.
The downside of this is one extra `libtool', `ar' and `ranlib' invocation.

===  libstatdir/Makefile.am ===
pkglib_LTLIBRARIES = libstat.la
noinst_LTLIBRARIES = libconv.la
libstat_la_LDFLAGS = -static
libstat_la_SOURCES = ...
libconv_la_SOURCES = $(libstat_la_SOURCES)

===  libdyndir/Makefile.am ====
pkglib_LTLIBRARIES = libdyn.la
libdyn_la_SOURCES  = libdyn.c
libdyn_la_LIBADD   = $(top_builddir)/libstatdir/libconv.la

Hope that helps.