Re: Modify Output to look like Linux Kernel

From: Brendon Costa
Subject: Re: Modify Output to look like Linux Kernel
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 15:43:12 +1000

Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>
>> A big difference between Automake projects and building the Linux
>> kernel is that building the linux kernel is practically assured to
>> succeed where as building Automake projects may fail and require
>> correction by the end user (who needs to see what is going on).
>
> In my scripts, I have an option "--disable-echo", which does the same
> thing.  Oddly enough (but worth repeating since none of the cons who
> respond to this relatively frequent request appear to have noticed that
> the error messages give line numbers, and better compilers/tools give
> column numbers as well), that's enough for all but a very small fraction
> of the time.

In addition to that, its also possible though more work to disable
echo but to emit the command line after a command fails. Not only do
you get the nice output for commands that succeed, and error output
from say gcc or ld, but you also get the complete command line for the
command that caused the issue. The jam build system we use does this
sort of thing and it works well. It is a very rare moment that you
need more information than that.

Brendon.