Re: automake failing nearly all tests

From: Benoit SIGOURE
Subject: Re: automake failing nearly all tests
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 23:46:54 +0200

On Jul 20, 2007, at 11:16 PM, Michael Muratet US-Huntsville wrote:

Greetings

Hi,

I got an error during the building of an application that automake was
out of date. Fair enough. After building, digging, and rebuilding I
ultimately went the process:

Build m4 v 1.4.10 and it passes all the checks

Build autoconf  v2.6.1 and it passes all the checks

If this was really autoconf 2.6.1 then get a recent version of autoconf :)
But maybe you meant 2.61 in which case I don't know, sorry.

Build libtool v1.5.24 and it passes all the checks (although automake
putatively does not depend on libtool)

Build automake v1.10, and all hell breaks loose.

address@hidden automake-1.10]# make VERBOSE=t check

++ pwd

+ cat

+ cat

+ :

+ :

+ aclocal-1.10 -Werror

configure.in:2: error: Autoconf version 2.60 or higher is required

/usr/local/automake-1.10/m4/init.m4:26: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is expanded
from...

configure.in:2: the top level

autom4te-2.5x: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 63

This autom4te-2.5x also looks weird to me.

aclocal: autom4te failed with exit status: 63

[...]

It goes on and on with the exit 63 status at each test.

I believe I have gone through the build process in the correct manner.
There's got to be something simple I've missed. I've found lots of docs
on the individual tools, but little on building the suite.

Can anyone help me out here?

Sorry I guess my reply wasn't much helpful but you might want to check whether this was autoconf 2.6.1 or 2.61 (that's a common mistake).

--
Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory