Re: Overriding all commands in Makefile.am

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Overriding all commands in Makefile.am
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 20:32:54 +0200

* NightStrike wrote on Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 04:49:00PM CEST:

> How do I individually override everything that takes place for a given
> target?

I don't think there is a general way to do that.  You can use 'make -n'
if you wish to not execute commands, or override the RANLIB or AR or CC
(or COMPILE) macros.

> For instance, I could, if I chose, do this:
>
> lib_LIBRARIES = libmylib.a
> libmylib_a_SOURCES = source1.c source2.c
> libmylib_a_AR = echo \!* > /dev/null

Serious question: why do you want or need to do this?  Automake
generally allows flexibility where it's necessary for portability
but if you don't have ar, then libmylib.a can't be built; however
AC_PROG_RANLIB will set @RANLIB@ to ':' for you if not present --
not all systems have/need a ranlib.

Hope that helps.