Re: Aw: Re: Generating 'cat' pages on make install

From: Benoit Sigoure
Subject: Re: Aw: Re: Generating 'cat' pages on make install
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 14:14:09 +0100

On Nov 5, 2007, at 11:08 AM, Jason Curl wrote:

In the end, everything works like a dream. Here's my solution for those who are interested, or who'd like to do something similar for their projects.

----- configure.ac -----
AC_PATH_PROG([RMAN], [rman])
test x"$RMAN" = x && $ac_unset RMAN
AM_MISSING_PROG([RMAN], [rman])
----- Makefile.am -----
man_MANS = file1.3 file2.3
html_DATA = ($man_MANS:.3=.html)
BUILT_SOURCES = $(html_DATA)
EXTRA_DIST = $(man_MANS) $(html_DATA)

BUILT_SOURCES are automatically distributed, so you can only list man_MANS in EXTRA_DIST.

all-local: $(html_DATA)
.3.html:
    cd `dirname $^`; \
    $(RMAN) --filter HTML -S `basename $^` > $@

The 'cd' is required in case a man page is a reference to another with the ".so" command, so "rman" find the page in case of VPATH builds. It has the side effect of putting the results in the SOURCE directory. Some people may not like this, but I believe it should also work in the case of RO filesystems as the .html files are only built when they're not available. As the directives above cause the html files to be packaged, there should be no excuse, except for filesystems with screwed up timestamps.

Yeah well, it's not the only case where you need a writable source tree. For instance, texinfo sources already produce info files in the source tree. The thing is, since they're distributed, if you're not a developer (so you're in the position "I want to deploy the software"), which is typically the the situation where the source tree might be read-only, it won't bug you since the tarball you use already contains the pre-built HTML pages.

Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory