[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Automake (alpha) release request

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Automake (alpha) release request
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 10:36:55 +0100
User-agent: Mutt/1.5.13 (2006-08-11)

* Bernd Jendrissek wrote on Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 09:40:44AM CET:
> If there are projects out there that urgently need a new automake,
> where the latest released version is not good enough, and if there is
> an expectation that the FSF lawyers might take a while still, then
> would it be feasible simply to release automake under the GPLv3
> *without* those troublesome exceptions?  Doing so would not burden
> other free software projects which are already GPLv3 themselves.

For me, that option is a no-go.  Either we wait, or release using GPLv2+
with exceptions.  Your suggestion also carries additional cost for the
autotools maintainers, namely redoing and checking license statements,
which I for one refuse to pay.  Add to that lost of trust from users,
which is more difficult to measure but would certainly be a bitter


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]