Re: remove dependency on Makefile.am in Makefile.in

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: remove dependency on Makefile.am in Makefile.in
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 19:50:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 7 May 2008, Kamaljit Singh wrote:

I was wondering if the following is plausible --
I use Makefile.am and run automake (autoreconf, really) to create the
Makefile.in's
When I distribute the project, I dont want to distribute configure.ac and
Makefile.am,
rather distribute only the generated configure and Makefile.in's.
Is this possible at all ?

If you use AM_MAINTAINER_MODE and AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS=foreign, it might be possible. Since Automake is used, a few edits to the Makefile.in may be required. I have seen a package distributed this way. However, you may want to read the GPL and all applicable licenses to make sure that it is legal. By leaving out configure.ac and Makefile.am you are denying the recipient the right to independently maintain the software.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn