how to cross compile pthreads on Debain?

From: Joost Kraaijeveld
Subject: how to cross compile pthreads on Debain?
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:44:02 +0200

Hi,

I want to use a Debian based mingw cross compiler to compile a library
that uses the pthreads-win32 package. I have created a symlink
libpthread.a -> libpthreadGC2.a.

I have two macros that appear to determine correctly if the pthread
package is available:

development_default="yes"
# Checks for libraries.
have_pthreads=no
AC_SEARCH_LIBS([pthread_create], [pthread],
  [have_pthreads=yes])

if test "x${have_pthreads}" = xyes; then
  AC_CHECK_HEADERS([pthread.h], [],
    [have_pthreads=no])
fi

But when I compile I get the following warning:

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lpthread.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libpthread and none of the candidates passed a file format test
*** using a file magic. Last file checked:
/usr/local/i586-mingw32msvc/pthreads/lib/libpthreadGC2.a
*** The inter-library dependencies that have been dropped here will be
*** automatically added whenever a program is linked with this library
*** or is declared to -dlopen it.

*** Since this library must not contain undefined symbols,
*** because either the platform does not support them or
*** it was explicitly requested with -no-undefined,
*** libtool will only create a static version of it.

I assume that it is because I created the symlink to the libpthread.a.
Is this harmfull, and if so, is there a right way to do this? Should I
link to the dll, and if so, how?

TIA

--
Groeten,