Re: Generate objects in right directory

From: Alan D. Salewski
Subject: Re: Generate objects in right directory
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 12:23:19 -0400

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 05:41:29PM +0200, Sebastien REYNES spake thus:
> Hello,
>
> How to generate objects files in a dedicated directory ? When I launch
> the following Makefile.am in my current directory
> /home/devbdie/src/module1, the files *.o are generated in the same
> directory.
>
> lib_LIBRARIES = libcomc.a
> nodist_libcomc_a_SOURCES = prog1.c prog2.c prog3.c
>
> Where can I specify a different target object directory ?
> (/home/devbdie/obj/module1 for instance) Have I to set a parameter
> within the file configure.ac ? How can I do ?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help
>
> Sébastien

If you do a VPATH build, then the generated object files will already be
in a separate directory. This is often done by simply creating a
directory that is a peer of your top-level project directory and
invoking 'configure' from there:

    $ ls -F
    my-project/
    $ mkdir my-project-BUILD && cd my-project-BUILD
    $ ../my-project/configure
    $ make

Automake distinguishes between the source directory and the build
directory. However, if you configure and build from within the source
directory, then the source directory and the build directory are the
same, and your generated artifacts end up in the same directories as
their template or input artifacts.

HTH,
-Al

--