mailing list handling (was: My project can't use `silent-rules')

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 11:45:57 +0200

Hi Bob, all,

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Sun, May 17, 2009 at 10:43:51PM CEST:

> P.S. I am pretty pissed that almost all recent discussion of automake
> major features and direction has apparently taken place on the
> automake-patches list rather than the automake list where it belongs.
> Not everyone interested in Automake has time to read all the bugs and
> detailed patches.

It seems not easy to please you.  :-)

A while ago you (IMHO rightfully) complained about too much email coming
your way, with duplicates due to cross-posting to more than one mailing
list increasing the pressure even more.  I can only assume that at that
time, you were subscribed to the -patches and/or bug- lists as well.
Now, we try to keep cross posts to a reasonable low, esp. I try to push
people to move to the -patches list when patches are involved, thinking
that the plain automake list also has many readers that aren't primarily
interested in the development of new features.

However, as you now noted that has a drawback too: some of the feature
discussion moves away from the automake list.  Ping-ponging back and
forth between both lists during the course of one message thread seems
awkward and error-prone, too.

I understand nothing is black and white here; also, the situation is a
bit remedied with cross posts as the mailing list manager allows to only
receive one mail per cross post.  I do not know of a perfect solution to
the general problem though.  Of course I can suggest that if you are
interested in details of new features, then it cannot hurt to also read
the -patches list.

But maybe now that your immediate problem is solved, you aren't all that
pissed any more anyway.  ;-)