Re: automake po / pot file integration: when to merge the PO files?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: automake po / pot file integration: when to merge the PO files?
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 22:50:32 +0200

Hello,

* Yavor Doganov wrote on Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 10:17:07AM CEST:
> В Mon, 06 Sep 2010 11:32:54 +0100, Roger Leigh написа:
>
> > I'd like to suggest that the best way to tackle the problem is to
> > simply stop generating the source file/line number comments by
> > default; I'm already doing this in some of my projects by adding
> > "--no-location" to XGETTEXT_OPTIONS in po/Makevars.  It's a massive
> > improvement.
>
> Improvement for you as a maintaner, probably.  It's a massive disaster
> for translators.
>
> > A question I have is "what purpose does having the line number and
> > source file serve"?
>
> Automatically jumping to the source.  That's invaluable.

Well, automatically jumping to a specific place in source code can be
achieved with a more stable indexing method that file:line: annotations.
An example is how tags/TAGS files work: they encode a file name and a
search regex that looks like a sed /^pattern/.

Now, I'm not sure reusing tags functionality exactly is possible;
translator tools will need some adjustment to work with this.  But that
adjustment would be fairly straightforward, and the resulting
translation file contents could have much more stable contents.

Thoughts?

Thanks,