Re: Question about automake fails to pass the correct parameters to pax

From: Dave Hart
Subject: Re: Question about automake fails to pass the correct parameters to pax when using large UID/GID
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 07:03:22 +0000

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 6:56 AM, xufeng zhang <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 10/30/2010 03:37 PM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>> I don't think there is much that can be done about this in Automake, as
[...]
>> If you still think that Automake is in the position to do something
>> about this, then please provide more details (as I'm not exactly an
>> expert in archive formats portability).
>
> It seems pax has a potential bug which leads to the whole build hang.
> When use a large GID(>2097151), pax failed to generate file, then if
> use the generated file as pax input, pax cannot recognize the format and
> wait input from the terminal.
> Try this:
> 1. mkdir conftest.dir
> 2. sudo chgrp -R 12345678 conftest.dir
> 3. sudo pax -L -x ustar -w conftest.dir > conftest.tar
> 4. pax -r < conftest.tar
> Then pax will definitely hang.

Why are you reporting this to the Automake mailing list?  Ralf kindly
pointed you in the right direction, and asked you to provide details
_if_ you still think Automake is in a position to help.  I don't see
you suggesting what Automake should be doing differently, instead, I
see a pax bug report sent to the Automake list.

Grumpily,
Dave Hart