Re: When "aclocal" causes an error message, "sed: invalid option -- 'q'"

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: When "aclocal" causes an error message, "sed: invalid option -- 'q'"
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 10:10:56 -0700

On 11/17/2010 09:59 AM, Bruce Korb wrote:
>> Is it worth installing a temporary sed wrapper earlier in your PATH that
>> outputs debugging information such as the process id of its parent if it
>> detects that one of the arguments starts with -q?
>
> Next time I run into it.  I unwound everything I was doing and
> started reapplying my changes.  Before I get to where it breaks
> again, I am having to figure out how to "git push" without
> tripping over "fast-forward", whatever that is.

'fast-forward' is the state when your commits are a strict superset of
what is on the receiving end (what you want).  Your problem is that git
is complaining about non-fast-forwards; that is, when your patches and
someone else's patches diverge, such that your patches are no longer a
superset of the receiving end.  The two ways to fix non-fast-forwards
are merging and rebasing; automake favors merging for distinct topics
and rebasing for work on an existing topic, while gnulib enforces
rebasing only by forbidding merging so as to keep a linear history.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682