Re: default -g ??!?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: default -g ??!?
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 14:17:14 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010, MK wrote:

Justifications WRT to distro packaging issues, however, seem much more
reasonable.  However, my conundrum is that I do not think this is a good
default for people who build from source: years ago, when I was a new
linux user and used to build stuff from source a lot, I was in the
habit of stip-all'ing. Now I only source build for particular things,
and I suppose I got out of this habit for a while and forgot about it.
So I was surprised this morning to recognize that most of the binaries
in my /usr/local had debugging symbols!   And after stripping *, I
noticed that gvim loads much quicker, heh-heh.

The vast majority of Linux users install from binary packages, or via source-based install systems which assure that appropriate build options are applied. Very few build by hand and install under /usr/local. Those that do are likely to read the standard INSTALL file and therefore know what to do. Things are likely different for Plan 9 users due to substantially dimished support for binary packages for that OS.

Since you found that gvim loads much quicker after it has been stripped, I must assume that you are using the Plan 9 OS rather than Linux.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn