Re: dynamic executables for check_PROGRAMS?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: dynamic executables for check_PROGRAMS?
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 08:56:58 +0100

Hello Jeff,

* Daily, Jeff A wrote on Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:06:13AM CET:
> I wrote a profiling layer for my library utilizing weak symbols.  I
> thought for starters it would be nice to profile some of my test
> programs, to make sure things are working okay.  I'm using autoconf,
> automake, and libtool, so I configured using --enable-shared
> --disable-static, however, my test programs are not created as dynamic
> executables.

I'm not sure I understand this.  Programs are typically not created
differently based on whether they are check_PROGRAMS or bin_PROGRAMS.
Maybe you are thinking of uninstalled libraries which those programs
depend on and which are noinst_LTLIBRARIES thus only generated as
convenience archives?  Here's how you can let them be shared libraries:

noinst_LTLIBRARIES = libtesthelper.la
libtesthelper_la_LDFLAGS = -rpath /nowhere

The actual path you specify is not important, except that it should not
be world-accessible because the system might try to find files there.

If I have misunderstood your question, the maybe it helps to show a
small example?

Thanks,