Re: debbugs, and a FAQ, for Autotools

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: debbugs, and a FAQ, for Autotools
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 22:30:21 +0100

I'm just reading the current FAQ under

1.3 Where can I get the latest versions of these tools?

http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/faq/autotools-faq.html#Where-can-I-get-the-latest-versions-of-these-tools_003f

Wouldn't it be useful to give a little script that installs know-good combinations (the latest version?) of all the autotools components in the users (developers) HOME?

You probably can do

https://github.com/hemmecke/flint2/blob/autotools/autotools.mk

better than me, but it might be a first start.

I suggest this, because I heard several rumours that autotools are a nightmare and developers might have different versions of them installed thus leading to weird behaviour. I just think that providing such a script would contribute to the acceptance of autotools outside the GNU world.

That Linux distributions usually come with a good set of autotools is irrelevant, since in my understanding all developers of *one* project should work with the *same* autotools versions. Of course, the project might also compile otherwise on different systems, but using the same version of autotools everywhere reduces (needless) incompatibility issues between developers and increases acceptance of autotools. No?