splitting MANS into pieces to avoid long install-man command lines

From: Brice Goglin
Subject: splitting MANS into pieces to avoid long install-man command lines
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 13:14:10 +0100

Hello,

We have a very long list of manpages to install in man3 in the hwloc
project [1]. Somebody recently reported a failure of some platform
because the install-man command-line was too long. Indeed we have a
single man3_MANS variable with maaaany manpages. I tried to split it
into pieces as explained in [2] but this doesn't appear to work. From
what I see in the automake code, only man_MANS and man[0-9]_MANS
variables are processed as manpages. Anything else such as man3_foo_MANS
seems ignored.

How may I solve this? Is there anything better than the following ideas:
* Split into many different man3_foo_DATA variables inside the same
Makefile.am because any variable ending with _DATA is processed. it
works but installing manpages as DATA might cause other problems?
* Split my doc directory into subdirectories with a smaller part of my
big man3_MANS in each subdirectory. Looks ok, but not very nice because
these new subdirectories are not used for anything else.

FWIW, the current man3_MANS variable is visible at [3]. All section 3
manpages are generated at the same time with doxygen.

Thank you
Brice Goglin

[1] http://www.open-mpi.org/projects/hwloc/
[2]