Re: Measuring test duration?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Measuring test duration?
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 23:14:25 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012, Dan Kegel wrote:

Hi all,
I'm running a test suite on an underpowered machine, and want to
have test results automatically annotated with how long each one took.
Some of our tests are gtest based, and those already do what I want, e.g.

[       OK ] RecentServerOnly.FailedPermissionize (43 ms)

A quick hack to my Makefile.in did something similar for simple
automake-generated tests, e.g.

I would love to have test duration reports for my tests as well.

It would be much easier to add test duration reports when using Automake's TAP test driver. The TAP test driver is cumbersome to use without adding some common wrapper functions. Since the TAP test output string is generated dynamically by your code (your wrapper function) it could include the time as well. This is easier than hacking Automake.

It is a bit of a problem that there does not seem to be any standard time output format, or else the time output needs a lot of refactoring to be usable.

I'll probably live with the hack for now, but it'd be nice to have something
like this integrated into automake.

Look at Automake TAP.

The next GraphicsMagick release will use TAP tests. It took me a few days to learn how to use TAP and convert all of the tests (769 tests at the moment).

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn