Re: IF condition inside Makefile.am

From: Daniel Herring
Subject: Re: IF condition inside Makefile.am
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 16:36:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012, The_Jav wrote:

I would like to create an if condition. But it works partially :

libmy_lib_SOURCES = source.c
if HAVE_IPP
libmy_lib_SOURCES += ipp.c
endif

when the HAVE_IPP is false, the makefile created is different than a
makefile created with only "libmy_lib_SOURCES = sources.c"

why ?

There are two reasons I can think of. First, there is a fundamental difference; with the IF, Automake knows it needs to distribute ipp.c. Second, there is an accidental difference; IF is implemented by configure substitutions, and this works by selectively commenting out some lines in the Makefile.

In both cases (without IF or without ipp.c), normal compilation should be the same. Are you seeing any other behavior changes as well?

- Daniel