Re: AM_CFLAGS no longer in the manual

From: Diego Elio Pettenò
Subject: Re: AM_CFLAGS no longer in the manual
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 21:44:13 +0100

On 09/12/2012 17:32, NightStrike wrote:
> It's not more fully documented elsewhere, though.  AM_CPPFLAGS right
> about it is, however, fully documented right in this section.  This
> should be fixed, since nowhere does the manual say that AM_CFLAGS is
> "-g -O2" by default.

Is it? I was confident that AM_CFLAGS is unset by default, but CFLAGS
(from autoconf) is "-g -O2" by default.

And no you shouldn't change CFLAGS in configure.ac, please. That's an
user-assignable variable, distributions cry every time that we have to
patch a CFLAGS="$something" in configure.ac. Especially when that's to
set/unset -O and -g flags depending on a debug/release build (hint:
distributions want debug information with optimized builds as well!).

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
address@hidden — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/