Re: Removal of INCLUDES in favour of AM_CPPFLAGS

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Removal of INCLUDES in favour of AM_CPPFLAGS
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 12:18:45 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013, Stefano Lattarini wrote:

This wrong approach is probably the result of me trying to keep a foot
in both camps -- that is, maintaining mainline Automake while trying
to encourage a switch to Automake-NG in the long term.  Probably not a
good move, for any of those projects.

I should at this point decide whether just devote my "Automake time"
to mainline Automake (which amounts at letting Automake-NG die,
basically) or to Automake-NG (after tying some loose ends in the
mainline Automake code base, of course).

So, is anyone using or playing with Automake-NG, or at least
contemplating the idea to do so in the short term?  Or should
we just let the project die?

While I understand that your time is limited, the logic of this last paragraph escapes me. Automake has benefited significantly from your work in the past couple of years. Other than pain/complaints caused by the sudden removal of long-deprecated (but not verbosely warned) features, Automake has been working better than before. I don't see why Automake-NG should suffer or be aborted because of some complaint about Automake. If Automake can be put back on a stable course, then you should be able to re-focus on Automake-NG.

None of us will be encouraged to experiment with or depend on Automake-NG by such questions. If Automake-NG is heading to the fate of the Quagmire, then all of us should fear to use it. However, if it does not doom us to the fate of the Quagmire and is believed to have a future with official releases, then we can start to depend on it and take pride in using it.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn