Re: Working in "real-life" or with "distcheck" but not both?

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Working in "real-life" or with "distcheck" but not both?
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 10:53:20 -0800

Johan Persson <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks! It was exactly the problem I faced (I have previously never had
> to use DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS so it wasn't really in my autotools
> vocabulary until now). I ended up implemented a similar solution but
> without relying on pkg-config since it is not longer widely used as far
> as I can tell.

It's worth noting that if you have pkg-config installed on your build host
and reference those macros in your configure.ac, aclocal will pull them
into aclocal.m4 and they will then be distributed with make dist.  So it
may not matter how widely used pkg-config is as long as anyone building
from VCS can be expected to have it available.  The end user won't need to
have it around; the Autoconf macros in daemon(7) handle it not being
available.

For what it's worth, pkg-config is becoming effectively universal in Linux
distributions.  Many major Linux packages now use it extensively in their
configure probes.  I'm not sure what the uptake outside of the Linux world
looks like.  But systemd itself is only available on Linux, so you're
pretty much guaranteed that any system that has systemd also has
pkg-config or can easily install it.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>