Re: generated version numbers

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: Re: generated version numbers
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 11:48:50 +1000

On 02/27/2014 11:05 AM, Harlan Stenn wrote:
Yes, understood.  And the problem is that am__configure_deps includes
am__aclocal_m4_deps, which includes aclocal.m4.

Inaccurate. am__configure_deps includes aclocal,m4 via variable $(ACLOCAL_M4). am__aclocal_m4_deps describes which files 'aclocal.m4' depends on and depending on itself would probably have caused Make to implode.

So we have a case where as a result of autoreconf running, aclocal.m4
gets updated and config.h.in does not get updated.  But the resulting
directory will require autotools (apparently the 'missing' stuff is
insufficient) because make*will*  force a rebuild of config.h.in because
aclocal.m4 is newer.

Correct. Are you saying that these time-stamps get propagated to a distribution tarball. If so, it smells like the 'make dist' target could get improved???

Cheers,
Peter

So perhaps autoreconf needs a late test that if aclocal.m4 is newer than
config.h.in, we touch config.h.in .

This way, if nothing is updated then nothing gets touched.  But if
aclocal.m4 gets updated we'll avoid this particular problem.

--
Peter Johansson