Re: converting to subdir-objects

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: converting to subdir-objects
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 10:22:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 8 Mar 2015, Harlan Stenn wrote:

The problem I'm seeing (with at least automake-1.12.1 and automake-1.15)
is that the .deps directories are not being created along the subdir
path, so the build is failing.

So if A/Makefile.am contains:

foo_SRCS = ... $(srcdir)/../foo/bar.c

As far as I am aware, it is wise/required that source paths be subordinate to the Makefile.am location (no .. bits). All source files are available under the Makefile (possibly via VPATH) so the $(srcdir) bit is also harmful. Perhaps there is some stylistic reason to want to put the top-level Makefile in a subdirectory of the project?

Are you doing this so that there is one Makefile per program?

Due to the availability of Automake include files, hardly any text need appear in a top-level Makefile.am, although the full content of Makefile.in would appear at that location in the source package.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn