distcheck: permission denied for file created from .PHONY target

From: Marko Lindqvist
Subject: distcheck: permission denied for file created from .PHONY target
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 10:13:56 +0200

 Do you have any advice for the following situation:

 I have a generated file I want to distribute in the tarball, so it's
listed in EXTRA_DIST.
 The file can get outdated (i.e. you can't rely it being always
correct even when it exist), but the exact situation where it gets
outdated would be hard to track (having it to have correct
dependencies would be *the* clean solution to my problems) so it's set
as .PHONY target.
 As for normal 'make' (file does not get generated) and 'make dist'
(file always gets (re)generated and put to tarball) this works
perfectly. However, this causes 'make distcheck' to fail as it tries
to regenerate the file to the directory where the write permissions
have been turned off.

 - ML