Re: how should package config files be installed

From: Roman Neuhauser
Subject: Re: how should package config files be installed
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 23:04:04 +0200

# address@hidden / 2015-03-31 14:30:39 -0600:
> On 03/31/2015 02:26 PM, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> > # address@hidden / 2015-03-31 11:40:52 -0600:
> >>
> >> .pc files are created by the pkg-config tool.  More details on their web
> >> site: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/pkg-config/
> >
> > i can't find any support for this claim anywhere in that "web site"
> > (it's a short page).  can you be more specific?
>
> [...] the page I linked to above includes a link to their FAQ:
>
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~dbn/pkg-config-guide.html#faq
>
> which goes into more details.

sorry but no, it does not go into more detail.

the most i can find on the topic of generating .pc files is
in pkg-config(1):

    You would normally generate the file using configure, so that the
    prefix, etc. are set to the proper values.  The GNU Autoconf manual
    recommends generating files like .pc files at build time rather than
    configure time, so when you build the .pc file is a matter of taste
    and preference.

which kinda points back our way.

> It's a different project that automake, so you'll probably get better
> support on the pkg-config mailing list than you will here.
> I have not personally converted a project over to using pkg-config, so
> I can't provide any better details than "read the manual".

that'd be a better answer to the original question, i guess.

--
roman