RE: [avr-chat] Newbie fuse selection..attempt 2

From: Ben Mann
Subject: RE: [avr-chat] Newbie fuse selection..attempt 2
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:05:14 +0800

Some further thoughts –

* How do you know it’s dead?

* Have you another mcu to test with?

* What capacitors are you using? 22pf should be fine.

* Is it a parallel cut crystal? A “series cut” crystal would not work, but these are rarer.

* Are you trying this on a breadboard? It should still work but leads need to be kept as short as possible. Try running without any peripherals connected (ie, just connect VCC, GND, the XTAL pins and your programmer – you’ll know the crystal works if you’re able to read the fuses from AVR Studio or program the device – if this solves it then start looking at the rest of your circuit for problems).

* If changing the setting worked properly, you can still use a lower value crystal such as an 8MHz, which you can use to test the chip (and your 16mhz crystal, which may be defective).

Ben

Its an AtmegaGA8535 16PU 0512A. How does this fair with your speed theory - and how do you know?

Thanks