Re: [avr-chat] ATmega16 to printer interfacing

From: Dustin Lang
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] ATmega16 to printer interfacing
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 09:39:18 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> Could you help me how to interface ATmega16 to printer directly?

First, read this:

Next, decide which port type you are going to use: parallel (DB-25
"centronics")?  USB?  Serial?  Network?  Let's assume you mean parallel.
Google is your friend.  This page:
  http://www.technick.net/public/code/pinouts.php
under the "Parallel IO", read "Centronics" and "SPP". You will need eight
data bits, as well as a few control and status bits.

Next, what kind of printer?  If it's an old dot-matrix printer, you may be
able to just send it raw ASCII.  If it's a postscript printer, it may
accept raw postscript, or it may require a bit of control protocol on top,
I'm not sure.  There are (many) other printer protocols.

Cheers,
dstn.