Re: [avr-chat] AVRProg.exe Communication Protocol

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVRProg.exe Communication Protocol
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 08:02:25 +0100 (MET)

"Suhas Pharkute" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am trying to study the communication between AVRISP and PC, where
> can I find info on the communication protocol?

Atmel appnote AVR910.

Don't use it anymore, it's technically flawed in many respects, and
basically obsolete.  For bootloaders, use AVR109 instead (which is a
slightly modified version, but at least got rid of the idea of
encoding the MCU type in one byte).  For anything else, use one of the
existing free implementations of the STK500 protocol.

Perhaps you'd better start explaining what exactly you're trying to
achieve.

> I am planning to use AVRPROG.exe, is there any docs available on
> this one?

As I already wrote in the other thread, this tool is obsolete.  Use
avrdude (which can handle both of the mentioned protocols).