Re: [avr-chat] ATMEL AVR UART Bootloader for AVR-GCC/avr-libc on ATmega1

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] ATMEL AVR UART Bootloader for AVR-GCC/avr-libc on ATmega16 with avrdude
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 23:36:09 +0100 (MET)

Alex Eremeenkov <address@hidden> wrote:

> I haven't board near now, so can't check that i got from latest
> avrdude.  But first difference that i see it's a that your
> bootloader return correct buffer size for memory access with better
> h/w and s/w version.

I think that's been only an issue in your very old AVRDUDE version
(5.1).  I bet AVRDUDE 5.8 did already much better in that respect.

>>> Programmer supports the following devices:
>>>     Device code: 0x80
>>>     Device code: 0x75

>> That's suspicious.  A bootloader should never announce support for
>> more than a single MCU type.

> So in my case, it success with code 0x75, other one just ignored.

Yes, but a bootloader cannot possibly run on more than a single MCU
type (at any particular point in time).  Offering a list of device
codes was intended for the AVR910 standalone programmer (and was a big
misconception anyway, so now, the device signature is used instead),
but makes no sense for a bootloader.

Martin Thomas' bootloader reported only one device code for me, but
more than one in your case.  So I think you did something different
here.

> Can i ask you to run your avrdude again with additional -vvvv option
> and sent result full log to my email?

Will do in private mail, to not clutter the list.

Btw., I just released AVRDUDE version 5.9.  The log I'll send to you
is from that version.