JTAGICE3 on OS X Catalina

From: Markus Schmelter
Subject: JTAGICE3 on OS X Catalina
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 10:48:22 +0200

Hi all,

the last few days i have been looking for a solution to my problem but unfortunately didn't find one.
I'm trying to get my JTAGICE3 running on OS X 10.15 Catalina. Unfortunately OS X take over the device and therefore it is no longer usable for avrdude.

avrdude: usbdev_open(): error claiming interface 0: Permission denied
avrdude: usbdev_open(): no usable interface found
avrdude: jtag3_open_common(): Did not find any device matching VID 0x03eb and PID list: 0x2110, 0x2140

During my research I came across the signed AtmelICE kext file by Nicholas Sayer which unfortunately contains a different device ID.
My JTAGICE3 has the DeviceID 0x2140 (8512 decimal) but the kext file is for 8513 decimal.

Maybe one of you can help me. Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Markus