Re: [avr-gcc-list] IAR vs GCC (Larry Barello)

From: TODD BATZLER
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] IAR vs GCC (Larry Barello)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:38:02 -0500

Thanks for the reply.  The reason I'm looking into a string in an absolute
location is so I can go to the field and query my deeply embedded micro to
determine what software revision it contains.  We're using AVR's in a wide
variety of applications and a "standard ID string" at a fixed location in the
program space seemed to be the simplest solution for a limited field programmer
device to ID the software revision level if it always knew where to look,
regardless of the actual micro application.  I'm certainly open to any other
suggestions it anyone has a better system for field level revision
identification where the service personnel are far from technically competent
and the embedded application has no interface but the spi programming port.

Todd Batzler
Senior Staff Engineer
Miller Electric Mfg. Co.
P.O. Box 1079
Appleton, WI  54912-1079
Phone:  (920) 735-4230
Fax:  (920) 735-4488
Email:  address@hidden

>>> "Larry Barello" <address@hidden> 06/13/01 10:27AM >>>
Sorry, I can't help you with either of your questions.  IAR is certainly a
professional development environment.  But, as I use GCC I find that most
everything I need to do has been covered.  The extra's in IAR seem to be
archaic or there to support other architectures.  I am sure, if you knew
how to run the gnu linker, you could do what you want. But I am the wrong
person to ask.

I question the need to place strings at an absolute location.  But, what do
I know...