Re: [avr-gcc-list] ELF in outputfile

From: Thomas Strathmann
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] ELF in outputfile
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 09:14:01 +0200

> Problem:
> When I compile code, all I get in the output file is ELF.
> What is wrong?

Nothing, if you have ever touched the gcc before, you might have
noticed that it always outputs ELF format binaries once it has
run the linker pass.
If you want another format, you have to do something like

avr-objcopy -O ihex test.elf test.hex

to get a hex file for example. I use this line in my Makefiles
beacause the ISP I use works with these files.

Greetings,
Thomas

PS: As you mentioned, you have binutils installed. There's
    absolutely nothing wrong with exploring and perhaps trying
    out one or two programs. You're using Linux, even studying
    the code would have been allowed. ;-)

--
Thomas S. Strathmann
http://www.tstrathmann.de