Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVRGCC initialisation of variables

From: johan.olin
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVRGCC initialisation of variables
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 08:12:31 -0000

Peter Bosscha <address@hidden> sanoi:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have a gracefull method of avoiding AVRGCC cleaning out
variables @ reset ?

reset ???
Do You mean HW reset .... or ....

> I want to retain the value of my Realtime Clock variables when the part
resets.

I'd suggest using the internal EEPROM.

Or a separate RTC with it's own backup battery.
ex. philips PCF8593/PCF8583 i2c RTC.

Or an external non-volatile memory, flash, eeprom .......

> Secondly,
> Would it not be a good idea to have a FAQ somewhere ? I see the
same issues coming up on the list time and again:
> - volatile variables (I got caught also)
> - Progmem issues
> - external memory use
> etc.

Yes, and in addition to a FAQ, I've missed some
AVR-specific GCC-docs ....

Try www.avrfreaks.net ....

> It's great that the same people keep on answering and helping but I
suppose they'll get tired of that at some stage.

Let's hope that the ones who have the knowledge don't
get tired of helping us (atleast me :-) for whom everything
ain't clear as water ....

> Regards,
>
> Peter

BR: Jussi