[avr-gcc-list] Writing EEPROM to FLASH (unintentially)

From: Alexander Popov
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Writing EEPROM to FLASH (unintentially)
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 00:36:15 +0300

        Hello, again!
        I wrote a routine for 8-bit crc checking using a table and I
tried to move the 256-byte table in e2prom. Everything went
ok, but I noticed the flash code size grew up with ~256
bytes! Then I thought this was the e2prom content and I was
right. I had been using the pattern rule from Volker Oth's
makefile. So I changed the way to make .rom from .elf in
my makefile:

%rom: %elf
<       $(BIN) -O $(FORMAT) $< $@
>       $(BIN) -R .eeprom -O $(FORMAT) $< $@

        The '-R' switch removes the section .eeprom from output
file. After this the size of flash decreased by exactly 256
bytes!
        So I wonder, has anyone else noticed this or am I alone
experiencing it?

        Best regards,
        Alexander Popov