RE: [avr-gcc-list] Sought: interrupt-driven buffered UART sender

From: Ron Kreymborg
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Sought: interrupt-driven buffered UART sender
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 22:06:17 +1000

In most situations, compared to the time scale of transmitting a byte, the
difference between using SIG_UART_TRANS and SIG_UART_DATA will be negligable
(a few microseconds). As you suggest, the advantage of SIG_UART_TRANS is
that you need not mess with the interrupt bits when there are no more bytes
to send (my code just sets the software busy flag to free). So unless data
rate is everything, I would go for the simpler solution.

//-------------------------------------------------------------------
// Signal handler for uart txd ready interrupt.
//
SIGNAL(SIG_UART_TRANS)
{
    if (--MessageLen > 0)           // while bytes to send
        outp(*TxPntr++, UDR);       // write next byte from data buffer
    else
        TxBusy = 0;                 // once again available
}

Ron

Ron Kreymborg
Jennaron Research