[avr-gcc-list] Possible Bug in elfcoff.exe

From: Jim Benson (Ohio)
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Possible Bug in elfcoff.exe
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 12:18:26 -0600

Howdy folks,

I think I may have found a bug in the Elfcoff.exe utility. I use a lot of
enums in my code. I like to use the compiler option "-fshort-enums" to make
the space required to store enums as small as possible. However, when I use
this option, I get this error:

Error on parsing symbol 143 -> Type : 804x Desc :
:T(9,1)address@hidden;eFALSE:0,TRUE:1,;
Ended

The offending enumeration is as follows:

*** Code snippet ***

/*
@enum Boolean | This enumerated list gives a Boolean type.
*/
typedef enum
{
FALSE = 0, //@emem FALSE condition, evaluates to 0
TRUE = 1 //@emem TRUE condition, evaluates to 1
} Boolean;

*** End code snippet ***

This is the first enum the compiler comes accross -- if I change the order
of declarations, the build will break on whatever enum is put first.

If I get rid of the "-fshort-enums" option, everything works fine, but the
code size and data region size both increase.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong, or is this a real bug?

Thanks,

Jim

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files
or previous e-mail messages attached to it may contain confidential and
proprietary material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Do not
read this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient. Any review, use,
distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of
the information contained in or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY
PROHIBITED and you should delete all copies of this message and its
attachments without reading or saving in any manner.  Thank you. Ultrak,
Inc.