[avr-gcc-list] Linker optimization

From: Bob Hansen
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Linker optimization
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 08:41:10 -0400

If I create a file test1.c that reads

int main( void )
{
}

and compile the file with
avr-gcc -Os -Wl,-Map=test1.map,--cref -mmcu=at90s8515 -o test1.elf test1.c
the generated map file indicates that the .text segment is 0x60 bytes, and main is 0x04 bytes long. Cool.

If I then alter test1.c to be

void foo( void )
{
  foo();
}
int main( void )
{
}

and compile the file with
avr-gcc -Os -Wl,-Map=test1.map,--cref -mmcu=at90s8515 -o test1.elf test1.c
the generated map file indicates that the .text segment is 0x64 bytes, and foo() is 4 bytes long and linked into the program.

Is there some linker flag that I should be including to tell the linker to ditch any unused functions? I noticed a while back that all of my unused library functions were still making it into the finished executable and taking up useless space.

Thanks,
-Bob Hansen