Re: [avr-gcc-list] inline debugging stk200/stk500 and gdb 5.x

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] inline debugging stk200/stk500 and gdb 5.x
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 11:47:06 +0200 (MEST)

> Hi all,
>
> we have discussed the missing jtag support from atmel the last days. So I
> search
> for an alternativ way. I have an older version of avr-mon (0.6) which is
> not
> usable with actual gdb versions and needs an incompatible patch to work.
> (incompatible to simulavr). Also there is no support for rs232 debugging
> on
> stk500
> or? Ok, the 6 pin header for seriall programming might be used, or?
>
> Is there an idea to bring the avr-mon code into a actual state here?
> I´m not able to do that, because I do know nothing about the
> gdb low level functionality. So there is no way for gdb patches and such
> things.
> But it seems to be not such a big problem to make the inline code
> workable on an UART or?
>
> OK, i will have a look in the avr code now. If somebody can help to get
> gdb working with it? It should be use the same interface like the simulavr
> or?
> Help strictly welcome. :-)

Hi again,

I found an old mail from December 2001 where Thedore Roth have already
discussed
this item, but thats the last thing i found :-(

To modify the sources to use uart is really no problem, this is only
patching some lines.
This should be optional, so we can use parallel port dongle or rs232. OK,
now
we need some help in modifieing the sources to work with actual gdb's. The
last
patch for gdb is included in main tree of gdb now? No longer need to patch
or?
Can Theadore give some instructions or spend some time :-))))) in doing this
project.
Sorry, but I really know nothing about underlaying protocols in gdb.

Thanks a lot
    Klaus

http://www.gmx.net