Re: [avr-gcc-list] What IDE are people using?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] What IDE are people using?
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:18:01 +0200 (MET DST)

"Peter Bosscha" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Does NOT handle positioning from error lines (is there any IDE that
> does with AVRGCC ?)

Emacs does.

No idea how well it runs on Windows though.  Also, whether Emacs
qualifies as an `IDE' to you or not might heavily depend on your
definition of `IDE'. :-)  For me, it is /the/ IDE.  Back in old days, i
once found the original Turbo Pascal IDE appealing.  Then i got used to
Emacs.  When someone re-implemented a Turbo Pascal look&fell IDE for
Unix, i gave it a try -- only to learn that i wouldn't want to use it
anymore... ;-)

> But it does handle nice things like syntax highlighting & bracket
> matching and it does allow you to compile from within the editor (just
> set up a user macro).

Only to mention it: of course, Emacs can handle all this, too.  It can
also handle running a debugger, and following the sourcecode in
another window, although i didn't try that yet in connection with
avr-gdb and avrsim.

For those who've never heard about it, see
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html